Sunday, December 8, 2013

Satellite Positioning Map

For this lab exercise I produced a GPS-based map that tracked my route from my house to campus. I used an eTrex GPS unit  to track a map of the geographic route.  I then imported the track data from the GPS to ArcMap and applied a base map of Eau Claire, zooming into the area of interest.  After the map was produced in ArcMap, I exported it into Adobe Illustrator to put in the necessary map design elements, with respect to the essentials of map design.  Below is a JPEG of the map that I produced.

 
I used a thick red line to map the track from my house to campus to make it stand out, creating the proper visual hierarchy and figure-ground appearance.  I placed the title and description in white text boxes in order to maintain legibility.  The scale is placed below the map image so it is visible and easy to read.  I placed the text boxes at a distance from the track, in areas that are not crucial to displaying geographic location in the area of interest.  The source information is included at the bottom right of the map in white.  The map is designed to be simple and clearly track the route that I take to school every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment